Sunday, November 15, 2009

Deep Breakfast


It was in a touristy little head shop in Bar Harbor, Maine, I first heard this music, and I knew I had to have it. I went breathlessly up the counter to ask whether by any chance it might possibly be for sale. Of course it was. I was too naïve to realize that's why the manager had been playing it. Somehow I also had never heard of New Age Music, although I had been a New Ager for 10 years by then.

I don't even like New Age music, never did, but this is different. I've played this again very recently and I still love it. It's upbeat (with the possible exception of "Your Feeling Shoulders"), it's meditative, it has actual musical substance instead of just banal "soothing sounds" and - fair warning - parts of it are, um, perfect music by which to gaze into your husband's eyes by candlelight. Track Two even incorporates actual calls of the Humpback Whale; how fun is that?

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Click here.

6 comments:

Dixie said...

So I am sitting here trying to figure out why you were in a touristy head shop!

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

Good question! :-)

Back then (late '80s) I was still a New Ager, not to become Orthodox until 1990.

AND I'd never heard of a "head shop," didn't know what one was, but it had some pretty stuff.

AND I was definitely a tourist! (And can highly, highly recommend a week in Bar Harbor in July or early August as an exceptionally nice holiday.)

Dixie said...

Oh that explains it.

So in your New Age days...did you ever go to Sedona? Lots of New Age crystal huggers there. It is beautiful, too.

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

Never made it to Sedona, although everyone says it's so beautiful, and I'd love to visit it.

Maura said...

Oh my goodness, I hadn't thought about this music for years! I think I had it on cassette. Remember those?

I loved it too, and kind of 'knew' it was new agey, but didn't think about what that meant or care, really.

It was a pre-Orthodox time for me also. . . was an Old Church Anglican (1928 prayerbook).

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

Yup, I also had it on cassette. That was the latest and greatest when this music was published.

Anglican, eh? So was I, officially. But of the sort that did not at all conflict with being in the New Age unofficially.

I'm so glad to have found someone else who loves this music as I do.

:-)