Monday, March 2, 2009

White!

Today is totally white. The snow began about 5:00 yesterday evening and just kept coming. When we woke up this morning, white was all we could see. The sky, the ground, the snow-filled air, the tree branches, everything white. Even vertical surfaces, such as tree trunks and fences, are coated in white. The white stuff on the ground is up to a foot deep. Now the sun is peeping out here ane there, adding sparkle.

This is the first snow (to speak of) we've had in years. Nobody quite knows what to do with it. Last night, everybody left porch lights on until late, the better to see it. Last night, we all just huddled in our houses. This morning, very few people are out and about.

We had breakfast in the sunroom, surrounded by the falling snow and the white, swaying branches.

Demetrios couldn't get his car door open, so after having spent 20 minutes digging out his car, he spent another half hour digging out mine. I hope he will arrive safely at work, and safely home again.

The girls next door are out in their back yard, running through the snow, trying to get it to stick together to make snowballs, shrieking (which is half the fun). Their dog, Josie, an oversized Yellow Lab - Great Dane mix, is jumping with huge delight through the snow, carrying a snow-covered stick in her mouth that came down in the strong winds last night.

No doubt scores of squirrel nests came down last night, too. But there's little chance many babies survived. I'm glad all my squirrels (and I) are safe and warm.

An apprentice wildlife rehabber named Caitlin is working with me now. She probably won't come today. I'll probably miss my doctor appointment, too.

I think I'll spend whatever free time I have today in the sun room. I'll bring my laptop there, fold laundry there, knit in there, read in there, whatever.

UPDATE: 12:40 p.m. I can't believe it! The snow is still coming down, fast and furious. The good part is, two volunteers have been by twice now on tractors with snowplows. People who absolutely need to get out can.

0 comments: