Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Faith, Works, Love

The following is from Saint Diadochos of Photiki's work On Spiritual Knowledge and Discrimination: One Hundred Texts.

He who loves God both believes truly and performs the works of faith reverently. But he who only believes and does not love, lacks even the faith he thinks he has; for he believes merely with a certain superficiality of intellect and is not energized by the full force of love's glory. The chief part of virtue, then, is faith energized by love.

HT: Tony-Allen, where you can read the larger passage.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great quote! Thanks for sharing. I am have definitely found this to be true.

Anonymous said...

The thought that God is Love and that everything that we are and everything that we have flows out of that love is truly transformative.

Just Mairs said...

I'm finding this more and more in my life to be so true and it is making me a better mom, a better wife and a better person, even as I recognize that I am a greater sinner than I ever realized before....

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

Isn't that one of the amazing things about becoming Orthodox? You learn for the first time how much of a sinner you really are!

Somehow, we see much more of our sin than we ever did before and yet, there's far less onus. (That's because for one thing, for us, Christianity is not a *system of morality* and also because we see we're all in the same boat!)

Tony said...

You tempt me with pride posting this.

Just kidding, of course, heh heh.