Saturday, November 27, 2010

Three Blind Mice

That is what has been brought to me tonight, the first residents of my wild baby nursery since our return from Greece. They came all the way from the little town of Disputanta (pronounced, I learned, "Dis-pyu-TAN-na") where a man and his wife were hauling out Christmas decorations from an outdoor storage shed and found these babies nesting amid the garlands. They are so tiny I can't yet tell their sexes for sure, although I think we have two boys and a girl. They do have a little fur, but their eyes are still sealed shut.

They've had two feedings so far, the first on half-strength formula, the second on three-quarters strength. Next feeding will be full-strength; I hope their digestive systems can handle it. They only drink a few drops at a time and that fills them up.

So far, so good. As they were brought to me within three hours of their being found, they are in good shape, not at all dehydrated. They're strong, wiggly, and already afraid of being held.

Mice are among Demetrios' favorite animals, and I like rehabbing them because they're all grown up in four weeks or so.

But if they live, I suppose I may overwinter these. Let's hope.

5 comments:

elizabeth said...

are you wintering in Greece then? blessed Sunday to you!

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

No, as of last week we are back in Richmond, Virginia.

Blessed Sunday to you, too!

margaret said...

Lucky wee mice.

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

Margaret, don't tell Miss Tilney or Miss Darcy!

elizabeth said...

That's what I thought... so the mice are back in Richmond...

Thanks my Sunday was lovely! God is so good to us!