Sunday, October 21, 2007

Kindred Spirits

.
Yesterday I stopped by a different fruit and vegetable vendor, not the one we usually patronize. As I entered the store, an elderly man was going out, his cupped-together hands holding a large pile of cat food.

Inside the store, paying for my purchases, I commented on this to the proprietor. "My papa," he said.

The old man walked back in. The proprietor mentioned my interest. I pulled the ever-present baggie full of cat food out of my purse to show him. That baggie becomes empty a lot less often this trip, as I see a lot fewer cats here than I used to and the ones I do see seem well enough fed. Perhaps nature has balanced the population.

The old man and the old woman (I) just smiled at each other and nodded, with that perfect understanding only cat lovers can share.

0 comments: