Thursday, April 1, 2010

Interpreting Part of Isaiah 53

From the fourth of the seven Gospel readings we did in church last night:

Now when it was evening, they brought to Him many who were possesed, and He cast out the spirits with a word, and cured all who were sick, that what was spoken through Isaiah the prophet might be fulfilled, who said, "He Himself took up our infirmities, and bore the burden of our infirmities, and bore the burden of our ills." (Matthew 8:16-17

I think it was s-p who first brought this to my attention. Most non-Orthodox people interpret the Isaiah verse very differently from the way St. Matthew does.

2 comments:

Anam Cara said...

Thanks! I am saving them as word docs so I can reread whenever I want!

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

You're welcome. I reprinting the whole series over the next few days, at the rate of 3 sections per day. Will skip Pascha itself, though.