Saturday, September 1, 2012

thoughts at Lunchtime

Who says British food is always bad?

It isn’t true. There are foods here that are better than in America or Greece, and there are certain foods only the English know how to do properly, such as porridge and clotted cream.

The English countryside containing more sheep than people, the Brits often do lamb very, very well; and their strong mint sauce is unique and wonderful. So is their rosemary and red wine sauce for pouring over lamb. Roast pork is another meat they usually cook very well.

English milk tastes better than US milk, so clotted cream isn’t the only dairy product in which the Brits excel; their regular cream is also outstanding, and they are the only ones I know who make “double cream”, twice as thick as regular. Many English cheeses are also yummy.

From India, the English have learned to make a variety of curries and chutneys, all delicious, as well as other exotic dishes.

For dessert, you can’t beat sticky toffee pudding. For that matter, toffee anything is wonderful here. And who doesn’t love Scottish shortbread?

Berries here are very good; the strawberries especially are sweeter and juicier, by far, than I’ve found elsewhere. Anything to do with strawberries, therefore, is going to taste wonderful. The English know how to cook and to appreciate rhubarb, too..

And then of course there’s that old stand-by, fish ‘n’ chips. If you don’t know what else to order, you can’t go far wrong with that. Have them put some malt vinegar on it, and on the chips (fries). And that reminds me, Lancashire potatoes, in particular, beat Idaho potatoes any day. Best potatoes in the world.

In an emergency, nowadays there are always Chinese, French and Italian restaurants.

4 comments:

Matushka Anna said...

Ok, now I'm hungry. (: Glad I didn't read this yesterday!

GretchenJoanna said...

I still haven't tried sticky toffee pudding, tho' I have recipes. My daughter and I did have an amazing treacle tart at a hostel in the south of England, which I've always wanted to try making here at home. We had many wonderful foods and meals in Scotland and England.
I also am glad to read this today and not yesterday. :-)
Blessings of the New Year to you!

Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to be there about 12 years ago, and found the apple juice to be extraordinarily good. And had a Stilton and walnut quiche at a church tearoom that is still one of my fondest memories.

Weekend Fisher said...

The lamb sauces sound really good -- both the strong mint sauce, and the rosemary and red wine sauce. I might have to track down recipes ...

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF