Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Plus...

Not only have you not walked a mile in the other person's shoes, you don't even know which shoes he's wearing or how much they hurt. Neither do you know how it is to walk that particular mile in those (or any shoes). The truth is, none of us has any idea what we really would do, were we in the other person's exact same situation.

I used to think (indeed, whole-heartedly and solemnly promised myself, my spouse, and God) I would never, ever, under any circumstances, be divorced.

We just do not know, any of us.

Remember that Amish community's kindness to the parents of whoever it was shot up their children in school? Yes, I recall that aspects of their attitude were indeed open to criticism, but not that aspect. Kindness is always called for. Compassion is always in order. We are without excuse, to whom such infinite kindness has been shown.

3 comments:

DebD said...

That was beautiful, Anastasia, and something I need constant reminding of.

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Anastasia,
this is so true.
I used to pride myself on my rock-solid, perfect marriage. And then it all fell apart when my first husband left me.......
Now I am not complacent any more, nor so prideful.

Tony said...

We all talk big until the time comes. That is why Peter's denials strike a personal chord with all of us. When Jesus predicts Peter will deny Him three times, it may have been a combination of His divine nature as well as His ability to just plain understand the fickleness of humanity.