Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Sign of the Cross

Again this morning in church we were positioned directly opposite the icon of the Most Holy Theotokos, and as I made the sign of the Cross, it occurred to me that I was outlining, on my body, the principal instrument by which her Son had been tortured and killed, with her looking on all the while. The Cross was the metaphorical sword that pierced her heart. And yet - miracle! - to make the sign of the Cross in front of her does not offend or insult her or hurt her feelings. Indeed, she no doubt made it on her own body more often than I do, and perhaps still does. For her, as for us, the greatest sorrow has become the greatest treasure and joy.

5 comments:

Rosko said...

Amen and amen. Beautiful observation. The seat I occupy is right across from this icon of the crucifixion: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2215/2515070674_1a01ee6951.jpg?v=0

Tony said...

And some people do it so badly, which is kind of a pet peeve of mine.

Anastasia Theodoridis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anastasia Theodoridis said...

Tony - just don't watch and it won't bother you. :-)

Tony said...

That's what I'm gonna start doing 8)