Saturday, May 15, 2010

St. Mark's

Last Sunday I was up in Northern Virginia to see my mother, and had the too-infrequent privilege of worshipping at St. Mark's Church, Deb's church, across the river in Maryland. And it seemed so wondrous I thought I should write a whole, long post about it. But when I sat down to put it on paper, it really came down to just a couple of things: peace and joy.

Worship at St. Mark's, unlike worship in some places, is not just an exercise in piety. Nor is it (still worse) something to be got through. I wouldn't want to reduce it to anything as banal as a "celebration," but it was indeed a joyous offering to God from His children. And even though the Divine Liturgy structures this offering in detail, it is somehow the perfect vessel for worship that is joyous, heartfelt,and -yes! - spontaneous. And just natural.

Oh, yes, and it was especially wonderful to see Deb again, and to get at least part-way caught up with one another afterward.


Anam Cara said...

Next time come to see us at St. Mary's in Falls Church. I'd love to meet you in person.

DebD said...

It was *such* a wonderful surprise to have you there. Thank you for the sweet comments about St. Mark. I really do feel blessed to be in such a wonderful place.

Anam Cara - I didn't know you were in the Metro area. Howdy neighbor.

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

Anam Cara, I've been to St. Mary's and like it a lot. Maybe I'll just come see you there!