Saturday, December 20, 2008

Nostalgia and Then Some



This record album was one of my dad's favorites, and one of mine, too. I have no idea what eventually became of it. It wasn't among my parents' things when they moved out of their house. But the sweeping, dancing, soaring music was drenched in romance, and as a teenager, I used to play it over and over again, dreaming "Some Day My Prince Will Come" sorts of dreams.

The album has selections such as Saint-Saens' The Swan, Grieg's Ich Liebe Dich, Mendelssohn's On Wings of Song, and Godard's "Berceuse" from Jocelyn, all wonderfully arranged by the conductor, Carmen Dragon.

But my very favorite, hands down, was always All Through the Night, in what is still the most beautiful arrangement I have ever heard.

Recently, I found Mr. Dragon's daughter, Kathy Henn, and ordered the album from her, on CD. It arrived yesterday and I've been having a wonderful time listening again, re-living a piece of my girlhood, remembering how Dad used to love this album just as I did and do. Of course, I cried a little at the associations now connected to All Through the Night, but that's okay. I've listened to it six times already.

0 comments: