Monday, January 19, 2009

A Unitarian Service

Friday night, while I was visiting my mother, we shared a dinner table at her retirement home with some Unitarians. One of them was talking about Unitarian services.

I said, "I have a question I've always wanted to ask a Unitarian, if you don't mind. When Unitarians have a 'service', whom are they serving?"

He looked puzzled for a moment at my failure to grasp the obvious. Then, seeing I was being serious, he replied, "Well, I mean - whoever shows up!" And he shrugged.

2 comments:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

LOL.
I share your feelings !

Our Scout troop had a Christmas carol service at a Unitarian chapel. Yes, I was puzzled by that too - but they looked at Christ as merely someone to be imitated, not as Divine.
They had some very unusual ideas, such as "Lighting the Chalice" - which was lighting some candles in a circle around a dish and saying some prayers. Quite what it was intended to symbolize, I'm not sure.

James the Thickheaded said...

I LOVE this!

Sounds of course like he's referring to the people in the congregation... but of course he means: "Could be Buddha, could be Shiva, could be I dunno... Isis, Yaweh... whatever..."

Perfect question. Thanks!