Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Passions Cause Idiocy

or, Grump, Grump, Grumble
(Let the reader be warned by the subtitle)

Today I spent an hour I didn't have in a doctor's waiting room for a consultation I didn't need and then stood up and walked out. Without a word. Leaving my forty-dollar co-payment behind.

Of course they had already phoned my house before I came back (having stopped at the grocery store) and Demetrios was all worried and waiting for me and late for a lunch date with a couple of social workers who used to work with him at the hospital.

So have I repented of my rudeness, wastefulness, rashness, and pride? Not yet. Right now all I have to say to the gastroenterologist is, leave me alone and go colonoscopize yourself.

5 comments:

DebD said...

I'm not sure walking out on an appt. that appears to have kept you waiting 45 min is all that idiotic. Why should we be treated as such?

I say that because i recently did a similar thing... although I did inform. them. Seriously, they knew when I got their that they were running seriously late. Why didn't they give me the option to reschedule? Why was their time more important than mine?

Oh well.... I do feel bad for Demetrios...that must have been rather worrisome.

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

You're a sweetheart.

But that's not news.

I love you.

GretchenJoanna said...

I also don't see the sin in some aspects of this situation. The money was already wasted, since you didn't need that consultation. Maybe going along with doctor's offices who don't know best is what you should repent of :-)

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

Welll...the truth is, it was a pre-colonoscopy consultation, and I do eventually need a colonoscopy. I admit it, I do. Just not right now, when I'm so busy preparing to leave the country for the summer. It's no emergency as they seem to imagine. I could SHOW them where the blood is coming from, but nobody seems to want to eyeball a fat old woman THERE, for which who could blame them; they'd rather have their expensive machinery do the looking for them. And they won't find anything, whether in colon or bladder or kidneys, because the tiny torm place is on the outside, not the iside of me.

It just all seems so stupid.

Dixie said...

I waited 2.5 HOURS...yep, 2.5 hours after my appointment time to get my pre-colonoscopy consultation. I was so angry. I talked with several people in the waiting room and they said this was typcial with this doctor but that they put up with it because he was the best. I am 3 years overdue for the next check...mostly because I dread the whole thing...even if the drugs they gave me for the procedure made me feel great. But I promised my regular doctor last week I would schedule a screening soon. This time I will bring my Kindle and adjusted expectations. That will help.