Wednesday, March 30, 2011

We're Home!

Demetrios said two days ago he thought he could feel the protective hand of God on him, and that certainly appears to be the case.  It's abundantly clear God guided him to the right surgeon, just for starters. 

Not five minutes after Demetrios had been taken into the Operating Room, Nick showed up on his way to work, just to lend me some moral support, and he hadn't been gone 10 minutes before Sharyn (his wife) arrived, and that angel sat with me all morning.  She brought me things to eat, too, correctly guessing I hadn't had any breakfast:  a tangerine, the best apple I ever ate, wheat crackers, and a granola bar.  Not ten minutes after Sharyn had arrived came Fr. David, and he, too, sat with me the entire morning!  Sharyn, bless her heart, almost immediately excused herself, on pretext of needing the restroom, and was gone 20 minutes, just in case I needed a private talk with Fr. David.  (I didn't, but wasn't that a delicate form of thoughtfulness?)

So we passed the morning in wonderful conversation and it all seemed to fly by and then Dr Hyslop came out to tell us all was well.  Demetrios had been out of surgery but still under the doctor's own close supervision for an hour.  Demetrios had passed all the tests, indicating he had not suffered any stroke, the main risk during this procedure. 

I introduced Dr.  Hyslop to Fr. David, and the surgeon said, "I'm glad to see you here.  I always say a prayer before each procedure for God's Hand to be at work."

"God's Hands through yours!"  I gushed, giving him a big hug.

Then I burst into tears.

It was past 1:00 by then, so Fr. David left as soon as I had dried my tears.  Sharyn stayed until 2:30, then went to work out at her club, and came back by 4:30, bringing more munchies. 

They finally let Sharyn and me see Demetrios in Intensive Care , and when we got there, Fr. John was already there.  Then Nick came, and we had an awful supper together in the hospital cafeteria.  Then came Stathis, and then our next-door neighbors, Frances and Dickie.   The patient was perfectly content not to get any rest; he would much rather talk with his friends. 

Visitors were officially sent away at 9:00 and I has extremely glad to get home.  I sent out e-mails, a Facebook status, and a blog post, then showered and went straight to bed. 

Today, Demetrios is exhausted, but has virtually no pain, except what Tylenol can relieve.  He's home now, snoozing on the sofa in the sunroom. 

Glory and thanks and praise to God, and thank you again and again for all your prayers!

12 comments:

Anam Cara said...

God is so very, very good, knowing everything we need before we do and providing!

elizabeth said...

Thank God! love and prayers!

DebD said...

you and Demetrios were well cared for. What a great blessing and comfort for you both. So glad he's home. I'm sure he'll feel much better having slept in his own bed.

James the Thickheaded said...

Glory to God!

Sasha said...

Somehow I also felt he was in good Hands. Looks like you were too. :)
Thank you for the update, many years to you and Demetrios!

Steve Robinson said...

Thank God.

margaret said...

So very, very glad!

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

I am so glad that things went well. Prayers will continue !

GretchenJoanna said...

So happy!

Chocolatesa said...

Thank God!

amy said...

What joy!! Praise the Lord, praise the Lord!

So many blessings mixed in there...like flowers at your feet, sun on your face and a gentle breeze to lift the spirit.

Fr. Gregory Hogg said...

I'm delighted to hear that all's well--thank God!