Monday, August 11, 2008

A Complete Family in Christ

On Sunday, I sat smack in front of the Icon of the Theotokos, and a sweeter one of her I never saw, the Mother of every Christian. Then I contemplated the Babe in her arms, the imprint ("express") image, the very stamp, of the Father of every Christian. And then I saw that Babe as our brother, the Son who makes us all sons and daughters of His Father. And then it struck me that this Babe dwells in all of us.

Which means, no Christian is ever without father, ever without mother, ever without siblings, or ever childless. Christians are closer to one another in the Holy Spirit than they ever could be in the flesh.

While He was still talking to the multitudes, behold, His mother and brothers stood outside, seeking to speak with Him. Then one said to Him, "Look, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, seeking to speak with You."

But He answered and said to the one who told Him, "Who is My mother and who are My brothers?" And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, "Here are My mother and My brothers! For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother." (Matthew 12:48-50)

3 comments:

Tony said...

A good friend and I often call each other brothers in Christ. For a guy who grew up with only two younger sisters, it's very spiritually fulfilling.

Claire said...

What a wonderful posting!

I continue to keep you and your family in my prayers...

James the Thickheaded said...

Yes, thank you for the post.
May the prayers of the Theotokos protect you and your family... especially your Dad.