Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Angelic Hymns

Here are two of my favorite pieces of Orthodox music, the Cherubimi (in English) and the Lord's Prayer.

Not necessarily my very favorite recording (I could do without the birdsong), but very lovely indeed!

Words to the first:

Let us, who mystically represent the Cherubim
And who sing the Thrice-Holy Hymn
To the Life-Creating Trinity,
Now lay aside all earthly cares,
That we may receive the King of All,
Who comes invisibly upborne
By the angelic hosts.
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!

5 comments:

DebD said...

As it happens we sang both those settings last night. That Lord's Prayer was set by Rimsky-Korsakov. It is also one of my favorites.

Cha said...

We often sing each of these at liturgy, too (sans birds) :-)

Love them both!

(Deb, the Lord's Prayer setting is not Rimsky-Korsakov, though. It's Kedrov (Sr.), I think.

DebD said...

Cha - as I was driving out doing taxi mom duty I began second-guessing myself on that one. Thanks!

Cha said...

It's my very favorite setting :-)

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

THe Kedrov is my very favorite setting, too!