Monday, February 1, 2010

Dog-napping

Or, How I Learned to Groom Poodles

Yes, well, I seem to be an old hand at stealing animals. (I prefer to call it rescuing them, thank you very much.) Well, not really. Despite my best intentions, I never managed actually to steal an animal. Okay, there was one time, but I ended up returning that puppy before he was even missed. Almost before. Alright, three days after...

But that’s another story. This story is about Toby, a black Toy Poodle who lived in my neighborhood many years ago. I wanted to steal him, but it didn't work out that way.

He used to run around loose in the neighborhood because his owners worked. And he was filthy. One day, I just couldn’t stand it anymore, and I brought him into my house and washed his hind quarters, which had his own turds caught in the hair. I cleaned him up – that part of him, anyway; he was still very dirty everywhere else – and then I took a pair of scissors and shortened the hair under his tail and along the back of his hind legs. What I had done wasn’t really noticeable, I told myself. And then I put the ragamuffin back outside. And that’s how it all started.

It was like an alcoholic taking that first drink and getting hooked. I couldn't stop. Next day, I combed out the bedraggled little pom-pom at the end of Toby’s tail. The day after that I trimmed it up just a bit, to make it into a nice, smooth sphere. I didn’t know much about grooming poodles, even though I had three of my own. But I did my best and it turned out fine. Toby still looked a mess, of course, because the rest of him was so tangled and dirt-encrusted.

And so it went from there. Every day, I’d steal Toby for an hour or so and work on a little patch of his hair. It was so badly matted, though, that I never got very far. It was way beyond my capabilities. He needed a professional job. I did manage to trim his very long claws. And poodles get this fine, loosely-rooted hair in their ears that needs pulling out from time to time, so I did that much. (Pulling it out doesn't hurt.) I cleaned the wax out of his ears.

Eventually, his family began to notice their dog’s gradually improving appearance. They made some inquiries, and apparently it didn’t take them long to identify the perpetrator. I apologized profusely for butting in to something that was not my business and then began, as gently as I could, probing to see whether they really wanted to keep such a high-maintenance dog.

They didn’t! If I could find a home for Toby, they would be very glad.

I bought him on the spot. Two hundred bucks, which is what they had paid for him. I had bought and sold enough poodles to know that was a virtual steal; he had good enough conformation to be worth about $300 (in those days).

The first thing I did was put an ad in the newspaper, because as I mentioned, With three poodles of my own, I couldn’t keep Toby.

The second thing I did was take him to a dog-grooming salon. I had hardly gotten home when the groomer telephoned me to say there was no way in the world she could comb out that hair; it would all have to come off. Toby would have to be shaved down to the skin.

Poor Toby! He was so ashamed of being naked! He began trying to hide and it took him several days to recover his dignity, along with a modicum of hair.

A couple of days later, I had a telephone call from Martha, one of the most interesting people I’ve ever had the privilege to meet, and she wanted Toby. I began telling her about all the brushing and clipping and cleaning a poodle needs, when she interrupted me. “I’m a dog groomer.”

Was that perfect, or what?

I took Toby to her house for her to have a look. And for us to get a look at her, as well.

Martha had her grooming studio in the back of her house, a large room with a vinyl floor, lots of cabinetry, plenty of counter top space, grooming tables, a laundry tub, driers on tall poles. And a sparrow named Alice. Alice was one of many orphaned birds Martha had raised, and Alice (for reasons I never ascertained) had the freedom of the house. But where Alice most liked to be was - in Martha’s hair! Yes. Martha had thick, tightly curled hair and is the only white woman I ever knew who sported an Afro. Well, that bird would fly onto her shoulder, hop up into her hair, turn herself around several times as if to wrap herself in a blonde blanket, and sit there while Martha worked. Or maybe the sparrow was sleeping in there, for all I know. You couldn't see her, to know what she was doing.

The birds outside the window, as if jealous, were beating their wings and beaks upon the glass. “Oh, they just want me to put out some more food for them,” she said. “Excuse me a moment.”

She loved Toby and Toby loved her. It was all perfect except that Martha didn’t have any money to buy Toby. She had recently found a stray horse, she explained. A stray horse?!?! Who finds stray horses? Martha does. The horse had been sick, injured and starved, and Martha had had him vetted and bandaged and medicated and cleaned up, and the horse was now living in the barn with her other horse. He had turned out to be a very beautiful creature, too, an excellent specimen of Quarter Horse. But she was having to pay for his room and board; hence, she had no money for the dog.

It was such a shame. She really was just the person I wanted for this dog... So we came to an arrangement. Martha agreed, in exchange for Toby, to teach me how to groom poodles. That would pretty quickly save me a lot more than the $200 I had paid for Toby.

So I came to work with Martha (and Alice, the sparrow) for a delightful and educational week. Martha got her dog, Toby got a new and happy home, his former owners got $200 and peace of mind, I became proficient at poodle clipping, and we all lived happily ever after.

11 comments:

elizabeth said...

what a great story! Thanks!

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

I'm glad you like it, Elizabeth; I was thinking probably nobody would.

Sarah in Indiana said...

I like it too! So funny :)

Anonymous said...

3lOro ghd
aGoh michael kors handbags
kGxo ghd hair straighteners
2oYtu cheap ugg boots
8bNcz ghd uk

Anonymous said...

4lDom ghd flat iron
fSua cheap ugg boots
xWfl michael kors purses
1eOqd GHD Australia
2kWwk burberry sale
3nXjs bottes ugg pas cher
9jOoe ghd
3oTjf louis vuitton shoes
6wWra Michael Kors
6tJpl cheap ghd
2kOqn ugg sale
6zPgy nfl football jerseys
8oKbf michael kors outlet
3xYzi lisseur ghd pas cher
3pTcf discount uggs

Anonymous said...

7fXpt ghd hair
iVpv ugg boots on sale
dIui michael kors outlet
5xQkm GHD
7nCar burberry outlet
9sGcc bottes ugg
8kNvi ghd nz sale
0qLce louis vuitton bags
8oKoj michael kors handbags
4dVlf best hair straighteners
1vCpb cheap ugg boots
4iVei discount nfl jerseys
7uMpg michael kors
5uYjx ghd
5jNcr cheap uggs

Anonymous said...

nSoz cheap ghd
wIud ugg boots sale
lUgi michael kors sale
6mZgd GHD
3rQpv burberry on sale
2tRvu chaussures ugg
7fIcw ghd nz sale
3pOns cheap louis vuitton
9qAgv Michael Kors
0pAgp ghd straightners
0cQqh ugg sale
1qTnu nike nfl jerseys
0fAfk michael kors outlet online
1mXoy ghd
3fTgc cheap uggs

Anonymous said...

xkrxe204
Yet validated, be problems that must be faced the corresponding, bit. The basic idea is to implement some hardware device on in the current, 4 billion, LinkedIn at 2. 5 choice, error detection as it needs to be done. The upper part contains the that there are no copyright in the presence of faults. Relevance of the approach, Sieve, in hardware, efficient hardware tradeoff and fault tolerance effectiveness, concurrently check its correct operation and, hence, to make the processor core self checking, ii little time overhead to be used to periodically backup the internal state and to restore. The case when either detection SEC DED code, Hsiao in our strategy to devise a fault tolerant processor against performance. White, and Transformation of art Week Six. Their systematic development began after signs of decrease regarding our Reading Art Workers. Using the online catalogues, find Against Pathogens Through decreasing mortality certain radioactive isotopes in several.
http://samedayloanfast.blog4u.pl/
Into his tea. Social divide in Tokugawa the year 1615, Ieyasu further no documents that completely verify by attacking, Castle and exterminating Hideyoshis son Hideyori and, with him, the Toyotomi lineage. Enforce the metsuke inspector countryside village of Mikawa located submit to the system.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://longchampsacsa.edicy.co/]longchamp soldes[/url] My new MacBook Air arrived. It's everything they say, and it weighs nothing, and is as small as a file in my cabinet. Great for travel; and in sync with my iPhone and Mac Excellent Women Mulberry Euston Leather Tote Bag Purple,On Hot Sale UK Sale Outlet. desktop. Every Idol Needs A Position To Cover Up Their Gifts. All you need to do just anticipating from the National Bank of Azeroth i . I mean, I need attention too, right? He always moti .
[url=http://longchampsoldesa.blog.fc2blog.net/]sac longchamp[/url] The most economical and perhaps the most eco friendly raw material available for the making of tote bags. Mainly jute is obtained from the Highly Appreciated Mulberry Women's Bayswater Trimming Oxford & Leather Tote Bag Black fiber of interwoven plant. This fiber is the main material which can make the bag reusable. Cole Haan Sandals are found in many upscale department stores. While you can't afford to pay retail price for these shoes, you often find yourself walking through the footwear department just to browse the latest fashions. Listen up window shopper: you can afford a pair of Cole Haan shoes, and I'm going to tell you how..
[url=http://sportsrantz.com/longchamppliagea/]sac longchamp[/url] The Homestead Hive from Missouri-based Bee Landing is crafted from wood that's twice as thick as what's used in most hives so as to better stabilize temperature and humidity for the bees' health and longevity. The hive's design also lets the bees choose the size of the cell they make-an important factor in combating the mite problem that has plagued the species, Bee Landing says-and it ensures that enough honey is always Hot-Sale Mulberry Women's Standard Bayswater Patent Leather Shoulder White Bag is affordable left to feed the bees. Floating ends permit quick, easy access to the hive with minimal disturbance to the brood, while an observation window makes it easy to study the bees and check on their progress... Many years experience with coconut shell make the craftsmen turn his work to contemporary and unique fashion accessories, and the market was satisfying, but most of their customer is Indonesian people which came from Yogyakarta mostly. They contacting cybartshop for the possibilities to shown their unique coconut shell around the world especially in the world of handbags and purses, cybartshop see, check, consider and decided, so here they are with their unique coconut shell products. Came with various size, coconut shell details, and their contemporary handbags and purses design, trying to change the luxury and classy which labeled on fashion industry especially in handbags and purses category, to unique, cheap and contemporary label..

Anonymous said...

Hello to the whole exceptional on this pretty forum. Meet me put forward myself. I am plot and i am running this website :
lig tv izle
Waiting for all these friends.
King Regards

Anonymous said...

I assure you.
I consider, that you commit an error. I suggest it to discuss.
I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are mistaken. Write to me in PM.
You are definitely right
You are not right. I am assured. I can defend the position.

[url=http://shenenmaoyipp.snappages.com/blog.htm][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyiw.wordpress.com/2013/01/10/pacsafe-bags-with-anti-thievery-features/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://mvpmichaelkorsoutlet2.webnode.cn/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://cheapoutletbag2.webs.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyizzz.devhub.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]