Wednesday, February 4, 2009

We Base Everything Upon Scripture

I must be feeling cranky today, perhaps because I'm just getting over The Crud (that 24-hour digestive bug), but I've gotta say this, because it, too, is bugging me today.

I don't usually cover my head in church and have no idea why so many priests don't require it any more, and I can't think of any valid excuse for myself, either. It's a practice clearly mandated in Scripture, by the great and glorious St. Paul, no less.

It usually doesn't occur to me. But when it invariably does is when someone tries to tell me his or her denomination goes strictly and only by Scripture, period.

And don't even get me started on all the things not mandated or even implied in Scripture that most of us do anyway, like Sunday School, choir robes, flowers on the altar, candles, kneelers, stained glass windows, pews...

Who do you know who goes strictly by his or her interpretation of Scripture? Some of the Friends, perhaps, or the Amish or Mennonites? Anybody else?

6 comments:

Cha said...

I think I might know what's gotten you cranky about this today, and if it's what I think it is, it's made me cranky, too. Cranky and sad.

The whole concept of sola scriptura, as far as I can tell, is not scriptural ... (please correct me if I'm wrong). So they don't base THAT on scripture ...

I don't get it.

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

You've no doubt made a correct surmise.

And you're right, sola sciptura is not biblical.

And you've made me feel better already; thank you.

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

And then there's the matter of incense. We know it's an offering pleasing to God because He commands it. (It's pleasing to Him, that is, provided it is accompanied by repentance; otherwise, like any other false offering, it stinks.) Scripture provides us plenty of precedent, as well, for its use in worship. So, knowing God approves of being offered incense, why do so many people who think they believe in Sola Scriptura not offer it? Not, of course, to atone for sins or any such thing, but just to please God?

DebD said...

Well... I don't seem to wander around the same places you guys do, because I'm clueless. Sorry you're both cranky though.

I was thinking to add to the list of non-scriptural: wedding rings, wedding VOWs for that matter, dresses only (when the scriptures are talking about modest dress they are NOT talking about women only wearing dresses because at that time men AND women wore dresses - so it definitely meant something different).

As to who is strictly sola-scriptura. All I can think of is the early puritans (who didn't do wedding bands, pews, et-al), and well...with Cromwell, we can see where THAT got us.

William Weedon said...

My fault, Deb. I made them cranky because *I* was cranky myself. Sorry to have upset you guys, and I mean that honestly. And yes, Anastasia, I'd recommend the veil, and I expect you'll listen about as well as my dear wife does...

:)

About the other, I won't argue it with you all. It benefits neither those who affirm or those who deny.

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

You, too, have made me feel better, William; thank you.

I actually think I will start wearing hats.

(One makes oneself cranky, you know.)